Dental implants are the best means of restoring your missing, decayed, or damaged teeth. They are designed to look and function like your original teeth. Implant teeth are bio-compatible and not vulnerable to disease or decay. However, you should maintain and take care of your dental implants like your real teeth to ensure that they last longer.
Here are some essential dos and don’ts of dental implant care.
- Do brush and floss your implant teeth at least twice a day, especially after meals.
- Use a soft-bristled toothbrush, specifically designed for cleaning implant teeth. Interdental brush heads are good at gently cleaning of the area where the gums and implants meet.
- Do use a Waterpik flosser or unwaxed floss to reduce gingivitis and bleeding.
- Do avoid sugary foods that cause plaque formation, eventually damaging your gum health.
- Do use the toothpaste with the ADA seal acceptance or that contains fluoride.
- Do make sure to slice fruits and large food pieces into tiny pieces before eating to protect the strength of your implant teeth.
- Do consume soft foods such as mashed potatoes, creamy soups, applesauce, milkshakes, and yogurt for a few days after surgery.
- Do use an antimicrobial mouth rinse that contains chlorhexidine- gluconate. They are effective against bacteria that cause plaque, tartar, and gingivitis.
- Do schedule regular dental visits for examinations and cleanings.
- Don’t use a toothpaste that contains activated charcoal, baking soda, designed for brightening or whitening. They are abrasive for your implant teeth.
- Don’t spit or suck through straws right after the surgery.
- Don’t smoke, as it can cause dental problems.
- Don’t open packaging, cans, or bottles with your implant teeth.
- Don’t eat hard or crunchy foods immediately after your surgery.
- Don’t consume sugary, sticky, foods like gummy candies, popcorn kernels, hard candies, ice, caramel apples, seeds, and taffy.
To have a smooth and pleasant recovery after your dental implant surgery, follow these dos and don’ts very carefully. Once you get through the initial healing phase, you will have beautiful, natural-looking teeth.
European Denture Center provides high-quality, affordable, personalized and comfortable dentures and partials. Our dentures and implants are customized to match your needs and budget. Give us a call at (208) 584-5433 for the Idaho office, (541) 881-3912 for the Oregon office and (425) 689-7381 for the Washington office to schedule a free consultation.