Thanks to technological advances in dentistry and oral surgery, replacement teeth have come a long way since the first denture was made in the early 7thcentury.
Nowadays, people with lost or missing teeth have lots of options to choose from, the most common ones being dental crowns, tooth bridges, implants, and removable replacement teeth (dentures).
However, dental implants are one of the most convenient options available. Here’s why.
What Are Dental Implants?
A dental implant is a replacement tooth root. It is an appliance that is inserted into the jaw bone to anchor removable replacement teeth or fixed tooth bridges.
Dental implants are a great solution for those who have lost teeth, but still have good bone density in the jaw.
Why Are Dental Implants Worth Your Money?
While it’s true that dental implants cost more than traditional dentures, there are several reasons they are worth serious consideration:
- Durability: Dental implants are titanium-based, making them durable and long-lasting.
- Convenience: Traditional dentures, whether full or partial, can slide on occasion and become a nuisance. Further, if your bite is misaligned they can cause neck pain, shoulder pain, and headaches. Because implants are anchored in the jaw, they do not slip, nor do they require messy glues to keep them in place.
- Enhanced Appearance & Smile: Implants look and feel like one’s own natural teeth, and because they are secure they help to restore – and maintain – your personal confidence.
- Improved Speech: If dentures are not fitted properly, they can loosen and slip inside the mouth causing the wearer to speak inarticulately or struggle with a lisp. Since dental implants are permanent, they keep the replacement teeth in place and allow the wearer to speak normally and without a slur.
- Easy eating and chewing: Loose dentures can make chewing difficult. Just like your own teeth, dental implants enable you to eat a wide variety of foods without any pain or inconvenience.
So How Long Do Dental Implants Last?
Dental implants are a long-term tooth replacement solution. Though it can take up to six months to complete a successful dental implant treatment, with good care and dental hygiene they can last a lifetime.
However, the longevity and performance of individual dental implants varies based on various factors including:
- Lifestyle:Certain lifestyle factors such as cigarette smoking or diabetes can have adverse effects on the longevity of dental implants.
- Gum Diseases: A dental implant can fail sooner than expected if the patient develops conditions such as advanced tooth decay or gum disease. A specific type of gum disease known as Perioimplantitisis an inflammation that occurs around the implant, leading to a loss in the jawbone supporting it.
- Wear on the Teeth:Undue stress placed on the teeth due to clenching or grinding can also cause the implant to fail.
- Insufficient Bone:Implants need adequate support from the jawbone to maintain their integrity. Patients suffering from bone loss must be carefully evaluated by their dental surgeon to assess their suitability for implants.
- Placement:Implants that are improperly placed are bound to fail, so it’s incredibly important that you choose an oral health provider that is experienced in implant installation to ensure that they last as long as possible.Single tooth implants can be quite expensive; multiple tooth implants can cost anywhere between $3,000 and $30,000. Because of this, many dentists recommend the next best alternative: implant-dentures. They are cost-effective, comfortable, and last a long time.
If you are looking for the best implant-denture services in Everett, WA, book a free consultation at European Denture Center today. We pride ourselves on helping our patients find the best long-lasting denture solution at the most affordable prices. We can’t wait to help you, too!